What to Look for in a Double Glazing Company in Glasgow
Home improvement and renovation can be an exciting venture – especially when you are deciding what your home might look like. But with home improvements come big decisions. One of the big decisions to make when you decide to do home improvements is deciding on your windows, doors, or conservatories.
As of April 2002 it has been mandatory for all new homes or home improvements to have double glazing as standard but that’s great news because double glazing has multiple benefits, including
- Better insulation – double glazing keeps your house warmer in those cold Glasgow winters.
- Noise reduction and a peaceful home – Double glazed windows reduce noise from outside by up to 60%, this is especially important if you live in a busy urban area or near a school.
- Increased security – double glazing is much stronger than a single pane, meaning it is much harder to break.
- Lower energy bills – Because of the insulation, it takes less energy to heat your house. The double glazing retains the heat in your house and keeps the cold outside.
- Less condensation inside – Because there is less fluctuation in the internal glass temperature, there is less condensation to deal with inside your windows.
- Easy maintenance – double glazing is fitted in such a way that panes can be easily removed to be cleaned or replaced – no more messy putty.
But a quick internet search will show you that when it comes to choosing your double glazing windows in Glasgow, there are just so many Double Glazing Companies to choose between. How do you choose a good one? Looking for Double Glazing can be a daunting task, but when you use Clydebuilt, we do the work to make sure you have the best product from the best company. Here are the things to look out for when choosing the best double glazing company in Glasgow.
Get an Instant Quote
& Redeem Your £2,500 Discount. Enter Your Postcode
Simply enter your postcode and receive your voucher
With the rise of online review sites, there is a lot of information about most companies easily available online, but wading through it all can be a nightmare. Thankfully, as industry professionals, we know where to look at and what to look at.
Double Glazing in Glasgow is a big market with lots of companies. We look for established companies with a good track record. There are big national companies who come with more recommendations, but a lot of people prefer to stick with independent local companies. It’s important to take into account that both of these have their pros and cons. Although a big established company may have more negative reviews, it will also have a wider reach and more positive reviews by numbers alone. There’s also a reason established companies have lasted so long – they’re doing something right. Smaller independent companies, however, will sometimes work harder to prove themselves.
This is where word of mouth comes in. More people are willing to listen to someone they know than trust a review they read. Clydebuilt is in the industry and knows which double glazing companies in Glasgow are reliable.
Another aspect that few people consider is the financial stability of the company they choose. People often assume that everything will work perfectly and they won’t need any recourse, but the financial stability of a company could decide if they cut corners, if they use the best products, and if they are able to offer you the best after-care service.
We all know the old joke about how long it takes for workers to get a job done. When choosing someone to fit your double glazing windows, you will want to know how reliable they are. Will they be there when they say they will be and will they finish the work to deadline?
The most reported problems experienced by double glazing customers were damage to home interior, poor window fitting, delayed work, and scratched glass. We make sure to only use glaziers who are trustworthy and reliable.
Customer care is not only about how a company treats you in the process of fitting your double glazing. You may want to consider:
- How pushy the sales team is
- How quickly the company responds to you
- The cooling off or cancellation policy – especially if you need customised glazing
- How easy it is to contact the company
- How the fitters treat you and your property
- What level of after care there is
A lot of these things are hard to know until after you have already signed a contract, but some things can be deduced simply by talking to a sales representative.
Make sure the Double Glazing Company you choose complies with comprehensive and transparent consumer code. Often, this means choosing a company that belongs to a recognised trade association as they will be held to a trade standard by their licence agreement.
Different products and companies come with different warranties and guarantees. Although it would be lovely if every fitting worked out perfectly and lasted forever, accidents happen and there can be undetected flaws. It is always good to know what warranties and guarantees are attached to your double glazed windows and how long they last.
But guarantees are not only attached to the product you are buying, you also want to be guaranteed that the company you choose is going to maintain a certain standard. It is always a good idea to work with an accredited supplier as this means your double glazed windows and doors will be covered by building regulations for performance factors. When the company installs your product, it has to be certified as compliant with those same regulations.
Companies that are accredited also have to follow other regulations and the body will govern:
- Regular independent reviews of the company to ensure they meet with the standards of the trade body.
- The complaints policy, ensuring that it is well-structured, and the procedures are in place and working well should something go wrong.
- Certification for your double glazed doors and windows. Without this certification you will need to do it yourself which can be a lot of paperwork and hassle.
- Your access to an ombudsman and a compensation fund should anything go wrong and you are dissatisfied.
- Deposit protection and insurance backed guarantees.
- Best practices as well as technical, and health and safety standards.
- A code of conduct that installers must abide by
With the rising popularity of double glazing, there are a lot of double glazing doors and windows to choose from. There are various styles of window including the more popular:
- Tilt and Turn – a child-safe window with extra safety measures for the width of the window opening.
- Casement Windows – designed to let in the maximum amount of light.
- Vertical Sliding – an easy to slide window that saves space and replicates a sash window.
- Georgian Bar – a more decorative style reminiscent of Georgian architecture and well suited to older buildings
But beyond what your window will look like, you must also consider what it will be made of. The industry is constantly changing and it is important that the company you choose has kept up with the changes and can offer you the latest industry advancements. There are multiple glass types to choose from as well:
- Annealed or floated glass – the longest used glass, but not to be underestimated, it is toughened substantially by the air support between the layers created in double glazing.
- Toughened or tempered glass – Annealed glass that has gone through an additional heating process to strengthen it.
- Laminated glass – made with a plastic interlayer, even if this glass is broken it will be held together by the plastic layer. This is also known as safety or security glass for this feature.
- Coated or Low E glass – this glass has been coated to give it the additional properties of being low maintenance, scratch-resistant, corrosion-resistant, heat-reducing, and UV-reducing. This means this type of glass can also protect your furniture and furnishings from sun damage
- Self-cleaning glass – with the addition of certain chemicals, this glass aids the breakdown of dirt so that it is washed off by rain and water particle runoff
You will want to know what the expected lifetime of your chosen product is likely to be as well as what features it has. You might also want to find out if the company has their own fabrication plant or if they source their materials elsewhere.
All of these decisions are most likely being advised by your budget. It is important to keep your budget in mind, but also be aware that cheap double glazing is not always the best choice as it may lead to future problems. But remember that just because something costs more doesn’t mean it is of a better quality.
With so many things to take into consideration when choosing your double glazing company in Glasgow, it’s helpful to know that with industry experience and an excellent track record, Clydebuilt Home Improvements are in the perfect position to provide you with everything you need. Trust Scotland’s most trusted home improvements company with your home.
What Our Customers Say
We truly value and appreciate the feedback we receive from our clients, as we look to improve the services we offer on an ongoing basis.
Based on 42> Reviews
Brilliant fitters. They guys were tidy and full of banter. Really pleased with the work and would use again.
Excellent price and installation was excellent too. Would highly recommend. The new windows have made a huge difference to my home!
Great Price and Quality
Had the boy out to survey the windows, happy with the price and quality – looking forward to my installation!
First Class Service
First class service. From start to finish. Every person involved was excellent. From initial representative Owen who was extremely friendly and helped me make the best choice for me the window and and very pleased with the end result . The fitters were really nice and very professional and I couldn’t recommend this company more.
Get Your Free Quote Now!